Animation Before Films
There Were 3 Devices Used For Animation Before Film, These Were of The Magic Lantern, The Phenakistoscope, And Zoetrope
Magic Lanterns Were Invented By Christiaan Huygens In The 1600s, •It Worked When A Picture Was Painted On Glass And Placed In The Machine, Then A Lamp Is Placed In A Box At The Back Of The Machine. It Would Make An Image Appear As A Slide, On The Surface To Which It Is Directed.
Soon With The Invention Of Electricity A Light Bulb Could Be Put In The Box And The Slides Would Be Brighter And Bolder, •Later People Would Manipulate The Images With Levers To Make It Look Like It Was Moving. With The Invention Of Photography, A Picture Would Be Placed In The Machine And Each Slide Would Be Dramatize As It Is Being Shown.
Phenakistoscope Was Invented By Joseph Plateau In 1832, It Was 2D Circle Attached To A Wooden Stick, The Circle Was Multiple Similar Images That When Spun And Look Through A Mirror Would Make An Animation.
The Zoetrope Was Invented In 1833 By William George Horner. •The Zoetrope Is Very Similar To The Phenakistoscope In Function, Only A Zoetrope Could Be Used For Group Viewing Instead Of The Phenakistoscope Where Only 1 Person Could Really View The Animation When You Spun It. The Zoetrope Had Many Similar Pictures Inside, It Was The Shape Of A Drum And Had Many Slits On The Sides Of It, •When Viewed In The Slits And Spun The Pictures Would Seem To Be Moving, If You Looked At It From The Top And Spun It, It Would Be Blurry.
Famous Animation Characters
Rocky and Bullwinkle
- Period : 1959 – Present
- Creators : Jay Ward, Alex Anderson and Bill Scott
- Voice : Narrators – William Conrad, Edward Horton
- Bullwinkle – Bill Scott, Rocky – June Foray
- Boris – Paul Frees, Natasha – June Foray
- Seasons : There have been 5 Seasons
- Period: 1929 – Present
- Creator : Elzie Crisler Segar
- Voices: Popeye – William Costello, Jack Mercer
- Seasons: There have been many series’ each having at least 1 season
Wile E. Coyote
- Period : 1949 – Present
- Creator : Chuck Jones
- Voices: Wile E. Coyote – Mel Blanc, Joe Alaskey,Bob Bergen, RoadRunner- Paul Julian
Tom & Jerry
- Period: 1941 – present
- Creators: William Hanna, Joseph Barbera
- Voices: Tom and Jerry do not speak
- Period: 2004 – Present
- Creators: Neville Astley, Mark Baker
- Voices : Peppa Pig – Lily Snowden-Fine, Harley Bird & George Pig – Oliver May, Alice May , Mummy Pig – Morwenna Banks,Daddy Pig – Richard Riding, Narrator – John Sparks