Princely States of India

  • Baluchistan Agency
  • Deccan States Agency and Kolhapur Residency (Maratha)
  • Gwalior Residency (Maratha)
  • Madras Presidency
  • North-west Frontier States Agency
  • Gilgit Agency
  • Province of Sind

Princely State of Gwalior

Introduction

Princely State of Gwalior was reigned over by the Scindia Dynasty of Maratha clans. This portion of the nation used to be entitled to as many as 21 Gun Salutes. Princely State of Gwalior is so named to commemorate Gwalior town. During the reign of Mahadji Sindhia (1761-1794) the state became a powerful kingdom in North India. Gwalior was a significant place in Madhya Pradesh because of its location and commanding fort.

Origin

The predecessor state of Gwalior was founded in the 10th century. In 1231 Iltutmish captured Gwalior and from then till 1398 it was a part of the Delhi Sultanate. In 1398, Gwalior came under the control of the Tomars. The most distinguished of the Tomar rulers was Man Singh Tomar, who commissioned several monuments within the Gwalior fort. It came under the Mughals in 1528 and was a part of the empire till 1731. The founder of the ruling house of Gwalior was Ranoji Sindhia, who belonged to the Shinde or Sindhia house which traced its descent from a family of which one branch held the hereditary post of Patil in Kanherkhed. The head of the family received a patent of rank from the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb, while a daughter of the house was married to Shahu Raje Bhonsle, the Chhatrapati of the Maratha Empire.

Geography

The district has an area of 5,214 km², and a population 2,030,543. Gwalior District is bounded by the districts of Bhind to the northeast, Datia to the east, and Shivpuri to the south. In the summer season, the climate is very hot. In the winter months (from November to February inclusive) it is usually temperate and for short periods extremely cold.

Demographics

The population of the residency was 2,187,612 in 1901. 86% were Hindus, 4% were Muslims, 1% were Jains, and 8% were Animists. The density of the population was 123 persons per square mile. By 1931 the population of the areas covered by the Residency had grown to over 3.5 million.